RailNation:California - Advocacy Workshop
- RailNation:California - Sacramento Event Registration
- RailNation:California - Sacramento - Optional Trips & Tours
- Sheraton Grand History
- RailNation:California - Friday Welcome Networking Reception & Awards Presentation
- RailNation California Event Agenda & Program
- RailNation:California - Advocacy Workshop
Optional Advocacy Workshop
Friday Afternoon, October 18 - 1:00pm - 5:00pm - Sheraton Grand Hotel
Led By Sean Jeans-Gail - Rail Passengers' Vice-President of Policy & Government Affairs
Join the Rail Passengers Association in Sacramento for a hands-on workshop designed to help you launch your own campaign for new and better train service in your community.
Staff members from Rail Passengers’ federal and state policy team will engage with workshop participants, in a small group setting, on the A to Z of advocacy. We’ll teach you advocacy best practices, help you figure out the best strategy for interacting with elected officials and policymakers, and give you a blueprint for launching a successful campaign to improve service in your town—whether it’s local transit, commuter, or intercity rail and Amtrak.
This workshop will focus on giving advocates the following tools:
- Define achievable goals: whether it’s launching a new service, a new frequency, or getting an issue on the ballot, you need to determine a workable path to get you where you want to go.
- Build coalitions: recruit like-minded advocates, national and local advocacy organizations, business partners, and elected officials. We’ll tackle the hard questions about how to maintain partnerships in the face of adversity and competing interests.
- Guide the narrative: learn how to engage through social media, connect with traditional media outlets and reporters, and find the right message to cut through the noise.
- Establish a campaign blueprint: create a calendar for sustainable grassroots action, making intelligent use of limited financial resources and volunteer labor.
Workshop participants will leave not only with the knowledge to execute effective advocacy efforts but with a tool-kit of sorts as well. The interactive nature of the workshop will provide materials needed to hit the ground running in their advocacy work.
Workshop Registration - $20.00 Per Attendee
"The National Association of Railroad Passengers has done yeoman work over the years and in fact if it weren’t for NARP, I'd be surprised if Amtrak were still in possession of as a large a network as they have. So they've done good work, they're very good on the factual case."
Robert Gallamore, Director of Transportation Center at Northwestern University and former Federal Railroad Administration official, Director of Transportation Center at Northwestern University
November 17, 2005, on The Leonard Lopate Show (with guest host Chris Bannon), WNYC New York.