2019 Ross Capon Citizens Advocacy Award
Nominations For 2019 Award Now Being Solicited
To Be Presented At RailNation:California
The Rail Passengers Association is the largest national organization that serves as a voice for the more than 40 million rail passengers in the United States. Our mission is to improve and expand conventional intercity and regional passenger train services, support higher speed rail initiatives, increase connectivity among all forms of transportation and ensure safety for our country’s trains and passengers.
Named in honor of Ross Capon, who served in leadership roles for the Association for almost 40-years, the award pays tribute to Ross’ focus to engage and mobilize the citizen advocate. The amplification of disparate voices, as a community in support of an issue, especially one focused on rail transportation infrastructure, is not easy, but can be transformative. Community partners are coming together, and the Rail Passengers Association wants to know about rail advocacy efforts/projects taking place at the local level.
The Rail Passengers Association would like to hear about rail transportation advocacy efforts/projects that engaged with underserved communities, connected/expanded different citizens, involved the growth of the business community, and/or impacted the overall health of a locality. Consideration will be given to multi-modal transportation advocacy that enhanced the rail efforts already in use in a community.
The nominee does not have to be a member of the Rail Passengers Association or any of its chapters.
- The Rail Passengers Association will solicit nominations from membership as well as the public.
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
- Nominations will be judged by a five-member committee seated by the Association’s Board Chairman.
- Email nominations to [email protected].
- A nomination letter including name, title, institution/organizational affiliation (if applicable), mailing address, phone number, and e-mail address for both the nominee and nominator. Also, please indicate if the nominee is aware of this nomination.
- A brief description of the nominee’s work related to rail/transportation community advocacy.
- Projects must demonstrate community involvement and interaction and should show the larger public benefit such as improved mobility, economic development, etc.
- Detailed project timeline and outcomes, obstacles and successes.
- Two letters of reference providing evidence of how the nominee has contributed to community activism related to issues of rail (passenger and/or commuter) transportation
- Collateral to support the nominee’s work such as (but not required) video collateral or interviews.
- June 1, 2019 - Launch Open Nomination Search
- July 31, 2019 - Deadline for Nominations
- August 11, 2019 - Three finalists announced
- October 18, 2019 - Winner announced at RailNation:California evening reception
NOTE: Three finalists are required to attend October 18, 2019 RailNation:California in Sacramento.