Thursday, September 13, 2018 7:00 PM
Ends: Thursday, September 13, 2018 09:00 PM
Archive -- Trains Not Tolls
Advocating for all-day MARC train service on the Frederick/Brunswick Line, instead of widening I-270
Main Public Library Frederick 110 East Patrick Street Frederick MD 21701
We are organizing a group to be called "Trains Not Tolls" to advocate all-day two-way MARC train service on the Frederick/Brunswick Line instead of widening I-270. It will kick off with a public meeting at the main public library in Frederick, 110 East Patrick Street on September 13 at 7:00 pm.
Joe Allen (chair of Gaithersburg bicycle commission and GGW contributor) and Sally Stolz (active in a Rockville HOA next to the Beltway) are the coordinators.
Sierra Club will help us organize this. They may formally co-sponsor the meeting.
Goal is to do the following to publicize the meeting:
- Leaflet Gaithersburg neighborhoods where houses would be lost
- Publicize to Rockviille neighborhoods via civic associations (see below)
- Leaflet MARC stations (am) - FredCo stations plus Gaithersburg & Germantown
- Leaflet at Shady Grove (pm) - people waiting for commuter buses to FredCo & Washington Co
- Alerts to ACT & Sierra Club members in corridor
- Article in Greater Greater Washington
- Social media advertising
At the Sept 13 meeting we will sign up volunteers and follow up with separate organizing meetings for Montgomery and Frederick Counties (dates to be announced Sept 13).
This is moving in parallel with a Rockville city effort against widening their section of I-270, which is being led by city councilor Mark Pierzchala. Ten civic associations are involved, with support from the mayor and entire city council. They are only focused on opposing widening the Rockville section, and open to both transit and other road expansions as an alternative. However, they are very positive toward what we are going.