Rail Passengers Association membership costs less than a cup of coffee & danish per month, and can pay for itself after only one trip. Come aboard!
What do you get for $6 a month? A louder, more effective voice advocating for improved and expanded passenger rail.
Have you ever been frustrated by a late train? Have you wished that the system went somewhere that it doesn’t? Or runs faster than it does? With an Rail Passengers Association Membership, you’re being proactive and actually doing something about it. For over 50 years, the Rail Passengers Association (previoulsy know as the National Association of Railroad Passengers (NARP)) has been the passenger’s tireless advocate and voice.
We keep our fingers on the pulse of transportation legislation and policy in Washington D.C., and know when decision makers have the best or worst intentions for our passenger trains. We'll reach out when big decisions are in the pipeline to make sure they don’t do damage in obscurity.
We make it easy for you to send letters and make phone calls to your representatives, and push them to support our passenger trains. With our system, you can usually do so in less than a few minutes!
With stagnant funding for Amtrak, an absence of leadership in developing world class passenger trains in America, and a transit system that is failing to meet growing demand, it is essential that we defend and fight for a modern, national passenger rail network. Rail Passengers works tirelessly every day to do just that.
By joining the Rail Passengers Association, you are not only supporting our efforts, but in return you receive numerous perks and benefits.
Rail Passengers Association's Latest Information
- Newsletter. A year's online subscription to our respected newsletter. Print newsletters included with memberships over $100.
- Members-Only Content. Access to the members-only section of our website, with Congressional voting charts and other exclusive content.
- Train Expertise. Direct access to Rail Passenger staff for transportation advocacy support.
Plus: Discounts on Travel
- Amtrak. 10% discount on most Amtrak rail fares, even on vacation packages through Amtrak Vacations. Terms and conditions apply.
- Earn Amtrak Guest Rewards® points for your membership dues or donations. Terms and conditions apply.
- Via Rail Canada. 5% discount on Coach, Business, and Sleeper Plus Classes!
- Brightline Florida. 10% discount on all classes of service!
- Alaska Railroad. 20% off Adventure Class fares on Alaska Railroad trains in summer and winter.
- Grand Canyon Railway. 20% off coach fare on Grand Canyon Railway trains or 10% off a vacation package.
- Nevada Northern Railway. 15% off all fares on Nevada Northern Railway Museum trips and tours.
- Avis. Up to a 25% discount off eligible Avis car rentals.
- Depot Inn & Suites. 10% off at the Depot Inn & Suites in La Plata, Missouri.
Plus: Other Benefits
- "Member Deals" provides drastic discounts, special offers, and access to preferred seating and tickets to top attractions, theme parks, shows, sporting events, movie tickets, hotels and more. For Rail Passenger members only, earn half off or more on car rentals, Disneyland tickets, Broadway shows...
- Travelers United, Instant Advocate Member Status in Travelers United, the non-profit organization that represents all travelers.
- VSP Vision Care for Life. Discounted vision insurance plans, and savings of up to $1,200 on hearing aids. VSP will make a contribution to Rail Passengers! Enroll now.
How to obtain membership discounts (member log-in required)
You will receive a Rail Passengers Association membership number, which is required for making Amtrak reservations using the "NARP discount," immediately upon confirmation of payment for your membership via email. You may also log in immediately to get electronic membership cards—which contains your membership number—and request that they be emailed to you. Otherwise, please allow 4 - 6 weeks to receive your welcome packet with your membership card(s) by US Mail. If you have no email address and need your membership number immediately, please call Rail Passengers at 202-408-8362 during business hours (9:00 AM to 5:30 PM Monday-Friday, except federal holidays).
Rail Passengers Association members are entitled to a 10% discount on the most Amtrak rail fares, subject to the following conditions--
Reservation must be made or altered at least 3 days in advance of the departure day of each trip segment. For example, if the departure time is 11:00 PM on a Friday, discounted reservations may be made until 11:59pm on the prior Tuesday night.
The discount applies only to the base “rail fare". The discount does NOT apply to any and all additional “accommodation charges” for Premium fares -- sleeping car, First class, and Business class (except weekend Acela Express).
The Rail Passengers discount cannot be combined with the Senior, Child, Infant or Military discount, nor with any other discount program (such as ten-trip or monthly passes, or USA Rail Passes).
On Auto Train, good only for the passenger rail fare (not the vehicle charge or sleeper accommodation charge). Seniors (65+): The Amtrak 10% Senior discount is not valid on the Auto Train, but the 10% Rail Passengers discount is valid!
The discount is not valid on weekday Acela Express service. It is only valid for Business Class tickets on weekend Acela Express trains.
The discount is valid on Amtrak’s Northeast Regional service between Newport News/Richmond, Washington, Philadelphia, New York and Boston/Springfield every day, except for "Saver" fares: the lowest available fare ($49.00 one-way from Washington to New York, for example). When "NARP" is selected as the Passenger Type, "Saver" fares will not be displayed.
The Rail Passengers 10% discount cannot be combined with any special or promotional fare or promotion code (including "Saver" fares discussed above).
The Rail Passengers 10% discount cannot be used on the Canadian portion of the New York-Toronto 'Maple Leaf' service, which is operated by VIA Rail Canada between Niagara Falls, ON and Toronto, ON, nor on some Thruway bus routes. It CAN, however, be used fro cross-border to or from Montreal, QC on the 'Adirondack' service and to or from Vancouver, BC on the 'Cascades' service.
Rail Passengers Association members should identify themselves as such when booking a ticket, and must carry a current, valid Rail Passengers membership card when paying for tickets in person and while traveling. Each passenger must be in the possession of and present upon request a valid membership card with his or her name on it.
Amtrak Guest Rewards®
If you are an Amtrak Guest Rewards® member, you will earn points for paying your Rail Passengers Association membership dues or making special contributions to the Rail Passengers Association. You may redeem your points for free Amtrak travel, hotel stays, car rentals, gift cards, and more. Simply enter your Amtrak Guest Rewards number in the designated field.
Please allow 4 - 6 weeks for points earned from Rail Passenegrs membership dues and donations to post to your account. All Amtrak Guest Rewards® terms and conditions apply.
You must be signed-up for the Amtrak Guest Rewards program and have received your Amtrak Guest Rewards program number prior to signing up for a Rail Passengers Association membership. You can join the Amtrak Guest Rewards today, free of charge, by clicking here.
RPA Membership Levels
|Membership Level||Monthly||Annually||Amtrak Guest Rewards||Accounts|
|Advocate Bronze||$15||$160||1000 Points||5|
|Advocate Silver||$27||$290||4000 Points||6|
|Advocate Gold||$49||$550||5000 Points||7|
|Silver Rail Society||$85||$1000||15000 Points||8|
|Silver Rail Society PLUS||$225||$2500||25000 Points||10|