RPA membership costs less than one cup of coffee per month, and can pay for itself. Come aboard!
What do you get for $4 a month? A louder, more effective voice advocating for passenger rail.
Have you ever been frustrated by a late train? Have you wished that the system went somewhere that it doesn’t? Or runs faster than it does? With an RPA Membership, you’re being proactive and actually doing something about it. For 50 years, RPA has been the passenger’s tireless advocate.
We keep our fingers on the pulse of transportation legislation here in Washington D.C., and know when decision makers have the best or worst intentions for our passenger trains. We'll reach out when big decisions are in the pipeline to make sure they don’t do damage in obscurity.
We make it easy for you to send letters and make phone calls to your representatives, and push them to support our passenger trains. With our system, you can usually do so in less than a few minutes!
With stagnant funding for Amtrak, an absence of leadership in developing world class passenger trains in America, and a transit system that is failing to meet growing demand, it is essential that we defend and fight for a modern, national passenger rail network. RPA works tirelessly every day to do just that.
By joining RPA, you are not only supporting our efforts, but in return you receive numerous perks.
RPA's Latest Information
- Newsletter. A year's online subscription to our respected newsletter. Print newsletters included with memberships over $100.
- Members-Only Content. Access to the members-only section of our website, with Congressional voting charts and other exclusive content.
- Train Expertise. Direct access to RPA staff for transportation advocacy support.
Plus: Discounts on Travel
- Amtrak. 10% discount on most Amtrak rail fares, even on vacation packages through Amtrak Vacations. Terms and conditions apply.
- Earn Amtrak Guest Rewards® points for your membership dues or donations. Terms and conditions apply.
- Via Rail Canada. 5% discount on Coach, Business, and Sleeper Plus Classes!
- Alaska Railroad. 20% off Adventure Class fares on Alaska Railroad trains in summer and winter.
- Grand Canyon Railway. 20% off coach fare on Grand Canyon Railway trains or 10% off a vacation package.
- Nevada Northern Railway. 15% off all fares on Nevada Northern Railway Museum trips and tours.
- Avis. Up to a 25% discount off eligible Avis car rentals.
- Depot Inn & Suites. 10% off at the Depot Inn & Suites in La Plata, Missouri.
Plus: Other Benefits
- Travelers United, Instant Advocate Member Status in Travelers United, the non-profit organization that represents all travelers.
- Travelpro Luggage Outlet. 15% discount on all Travelpro Luggage products online at Travelpro Luggage Outlet.
- VSP Vision Care for Life. Discounted vision insurance plans, and savings of up to $1,200 on hearing aids. VSP will make a contribution to NARP! Enroll now.
- Bumper Sticker. “I’d Rather Be on the Train!”
How to obtain membership discounts (member log-in required)
You will not receive an RPA membership number, which is required for making Amtrak reservations using the NARP discount, immediately upon confirmation of payment for your membership. You may log in immediately to get electronic membership cards—which contains your membership number—and request that they be emailed to you. Otherwise, please allow 4 - 6 weeks to receive your welcome packet with your membership card(s) by US Mail. If you have no email address and need your membership number immediately, please call RPA at 202-408-8362 during business hours (9:00 AM to 5:30 PM Monday-Friday, except federal holidays).
RPA members are entitled to a 10% discount on the most Amtrak rail fares, subject to the following conditions--
Reservation must be made or altered at least 3 days in advance of the departure day of each trip segment. For example, if the departure time is 11:00 PM on a Friday, discounted reservations may be made until 12:00 midnight Wednesday (i.e. Tuesday night).
Applies only to the “rail fare.” Does not apply to additional “accommodation charges” for Premium fares -- sleeping car, First class, and Business class (except weekend Acela Express).
The NARP discount cannot be combined with the Senior, Child, Infant or Military discount, nor with any other discount program (such as AAA, Student Advantage, Veterans' Advantage, ISIC, ten-trip or monthly passes, or USA Rail Passes).
On Auto Train, good only for the passenger rail fare (not the vehicle charge or sleeper accommodation charge). Seniors (62+): Your 15% Senior discount is not valid on the Auto Train, but the 10% NARP discount is valid!
The discount is not valid on weekday Acela Express service. It is only valid for Business Class tickets on weekend Acela Express trains.
The discount is valid on Amtrak’s Northeast Regional service between Newport News/Richmond, Washington, Philadelphia, New York and Boston/Springfield every day, except for "Saver" fares: the lowest available fare ($49.00 one-way from Washington to New York, for example). When "NARP" is selected as the Passenger Type, "Saver" fares will not be displayed.
The NARP discount cannot be combined with any special or promotional fare or promotion code (including "Saver" fares discussed above).
The NARP discount cannot be used on Canadian portion of the New York-Toronto Maple Leaf, which is operated by VIA Rail Canada between Niagara Falls, ON and Toronto, nor on some Thruway bus routes. It CAN, however, be used to or from Montreal or Vancouver, BC.
NARP members should identify themselves as such when booking a ticket, and must carry a current, valid NARP membership card when paying for tickets in person and while traveling. Each passenger must be in the possession of and present upon request a valid membership card with his or her name on it.
Amtrak Guest Rewards®
If you are an Amtrak Guest Rewards® member, you will earn points for paying your NARP membership dues or making special contributions to NARP. You may redeem your points for free Amtrak travel, hotel stays, car rentals, gift cards, and more. Simply enter your Amtrak Guest Rewards number in the designated field.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for points to post to your account. All Amtrak Guest Rewards® terms and conditions apply.
You must be signed-up for the Amtrak Guest Rewards program and have received your AGR number prior to signing up for a NARP membership. You can join today, free of charge, by clicking here.
RPA Membership Levels
|Membership Level||Monthly||Annually||Amtrak Guest Rewards||Accounts|
|Advocate Bronze||$12||$125||1000 Points||5|
|Advocate Silver||$25||$250||4000 Points||5|
|Advocate Gold||$45||$500||5000 Points||6|
|Silver Rail Society||$85||$1000||15000 Points||8|
|Silver Rail Society PLUS||$225||$2500||25000 Points||10|